St Benets Geography forum

A forum dedicated to giving the students of St Benets a chance to discuss Geography topics. You must be respectful at all times, e-bullying is not allowed and any inappropriate comments will be removed and action taken. The forum is a POSITIVE place.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Should population be controlled?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should population in Britain be controlled?
Yes
27%
 27% [ 7 ]
No
73%
 73% [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 26

AuthorMessage
Mattyo

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:20 pm

just because some of my solutions are more extreme- anyway hitler was a succes in the short term. Until he went to war with everyone
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scott

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:25 pm

LOL @ Matty and his evil plans.. Razz
Hmm i think we've kinda strayed from the topic..
Do you think it's ethically right for governments to say 'no one can have more than one child' when there may be thousands of people who want a larger family?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/jokertothetheif
Mattyo

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:28 pm

yes if it for the overall good of the country, just because some people cant controll themselves dosnt mean that the country should be over crowded and over poluted. They should get themselves some entertainment
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:48 pm

Well then Scott, in my opinion I think that it is not ethically right for a government to tell people that they can't have more than one child. However, if a couple wants to have more than three children I would say, then it is ethically right for a government to impose restrictions. Whatever though, as long as it is in the peoples interests, and not there own then it should be fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simon

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:58 pm

How about not saying how many children a family can have but only providing free education and health care for the first two children? This way people can have more children if they want but at their cost and not the countries.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mattyo

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:00 pm

that is a good idea simon: however it would not stop the problem of overcrowding. i believe the Chinese have the right idea- you havbe to be mean to be kind in the long run
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:17 pm

I agree with you Matty. However, although it is a rare occurence, I don't know if any of you remember the case of Liz Barnes who was on Wife Swap, who had 7 children or something, and she claimed soemthing like 37,000 of benefits. It is a ridiculous amount of money for a women that can't be bothered to go to work- if everyone did this, then the country would be in turmoil- we must limit the number of children people can have!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scott

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:56 pm

lol david you're the only person I know who quotes Wife Swap to back up his geography ideas...
But I think Si had a good point in saying that only a family's first child should get free schooling and so on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/jokertothetheif
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:22 am

I think it's understandable about China, as there is hundreds of thousands of people crammed into a tiny space.

But we will be OK for a good few years before it even starts to become an issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simon

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:25 am

I know that we are okay at the moment but i think that we should be starting to think about it now. If it gets too bad it is harder to pull back what has alredy happened.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Correct use of the forum   Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:55 am

I am really disappointed with some of the extreme views that have been expressed on this forum. I do not approve of or condone views that are extreme in their criticism of groups of our society, in this case, illegal immigrants. In many cases, illegal immigrants gain legal status in the UK and make a positive contribution to society. In the cases that are fraudulant, our government has systems in place to deal with that. I have put the forum in place for my students to discuss Geographic issues in a positive manner as many of the earlier comments did. Please do not abuse the forum, or I'll have no option to remove it.
Mr Gamesby[b]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mrg-eography.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:02 pm

Is there a religious or moral element to this? Should governments in free democratic countries have the right to tell their population what size family they can have?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mrg-eography.forumotion.com
Mattyo

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:44 pm

It will never me ethically acceptable to tell a population how many children they can have, however in some scenarious it may be neccary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spoofer23

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:01 pm

i thin countries do need to control their population as it has long term effects if they dont for example china now use more power than america!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:40 pm

In my opinion, I think that it is vital for a government to have the right to tell a population what size family they can have, but only as long as it is in the populations interest. The government must persuade the popultaion, backing their decision up with facts such as if the population of a country continues to rise, then it would have disastrous consequences such as a lowered standard of life. The government should not use forcuful techniques however such as forced abortions in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
06hartn

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:43 pm

well in my opinion i don't think that population in any country should be contolled in any way because it won't stop people having children, then there children will have children and so on but the older generation will die out so what is the point of controlling people and teling them on what to do and how to live there life. it should beup to the people of the nation and the world wether they are happy with what they are doing to the world creating morec02 and all tht wich i dnt thnk it is true but neva mynd about tht. soo if people wanna have 20 kids then let them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simon

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:55 pm

Personally i think that allowing people to make the deision on the number of children they have themselves is irresponsible as although it may leave our generation feeling as if they have got what they want future generations are going to be left with a world that has no natural areas remaining. Today alone there has been an absolute population growth of 200, 000 people. Multiply this by 365 and thats an increase of 73 000 000 people a year! Just where are they going to live?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:49 pm

I totally agree with you Si. It would be selfish of us to not consider how our actions will affect future generations. Not only where would future generations live, but where would they get their food from? What energy would they use? Where will people go to get away from over crowded cities? The moon? Somehow I think not...or maybe. Anyway, as Si said, it would be irresponsible of us not to consider what may happen in the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
!~MoZzA~!

Location : 26 barnard close bedlington northumberland england earth

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:42 pm

firstly can some one please explain to me how to place a picture on here?????? Mad

Now then in this essay i am goin to explain to you the two points of view that people may have on birth control in the uk, starting with the reasons for.
Firstly people may want the birth controll to be controlled as there is to many people within the UKs population, they may think this because of many reasons, for example. They may start to relise that there is far to many people on the busses when they go to the town and get angry when they are forced to stand, and then point ot the countries birth controll. Also they may relise this when they are standing in masive yarker ques just to get there hot dinner from school. Mad Mad
On the other hand people may think that the birth controll should not be controlled as there is not enough people in the UK, they may think this for many reasons, for example. They may want there to be more people in the country so that there is more people to play with them and talk to them, for example RYAN READY. Also they might want there not to be a birth controll as they think that if there is more wemon in the UK that the current law of only having one wife may be reinstated so that they can have two. tongue tongue
So in conlusion, i think that there should be a birth controll as i am sick and tied of having to wait for up to 20 minuts waiting for my hot dinner at school. But on the other hand i think that it would be good having to wifes, maby i can come up with some agree ment such as that there is only women that can be born. tongue tongue . but all jokin aside i do think that there should be a birth controll as there is far to many people in this joint. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bebo.com/owenp2
LauraM!

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:53 pm

The uk has to think of the views of many religions before enforcing birth rate control. Both Christians and buddhists believe no contraception should be used and buddhists believe it is wrong to kill for any reason. The most common Buddhist view on birth control is that contraception is acceptable if it prevents conception, but that contraceptives that work by stopping the development of a fertilised egg are wrong and should not be used. clown
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:04 pm

Certainly a unique perspective on things Owen, but I do agree with you...partially. I see what you are getting at about over crowding in some parts of the country, and as previoulsy said, we do need to think about the knock on effect that the actions we take today could have in the future.
And I like what Laura said about contraceptives, but is it for the better to use contraception if it will help to control unwanted births?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
!~MoZzA~!

Location : 26 barnard close bedlington northumberland england earth

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:09 pm

well thank you very deeply for agreeing with me , and i do feel very stong on this particular question good work simon, it took me lyk 5 atemps to get in this pad, i didnt read the instrustions wer it sed go on your emails. hahaha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bebo.com/owenp2
LauraM!

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:51 pm

well yes david i agree that it is better to use contraceptives to control unwanted births, however if the government does not consider the different views from the various religions in the UK, wouldnt that cause controversy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
liamdevitt

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:14 pm

I think that in MEDCs, where over population is not a major problem population should not be controlled. In only the most extreme cases of overpopulation should control be used because I believe it is an infringement of people's human rights, they should be given the right to choose how many children they would like. However this is not always possible, only in an ideal world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ROXANNE..*

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:38 pm

I think that the population should be controlled in places that it is a problem. Even if it is very unfair that certain countrys have to have a ban on the number of children they have i.e China. But then its mainly LEDC's that have this problem.. I think we should sort out the poverty problems Laughing and then we wouldnt have the problem of over population anywhere because everyone would be adequatley fed and homed etc. BUT BACK TO BRITAIN Very Happy I dont think there should be a limit at all becauuuse i think that it is the peoples own decision wether they want children, not another persons, and to take away that right would be inhuman.. i had another point but i forgot it.. oh yeah Very Happy as we are a MEDC we can control birthrates much easier, wether anyone would agree to this though is a different matter..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   

Back to top Go down

Should population be controlled?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next