St Benets Geography forum

A forum dedicated to giving the students of St Benets a chance to discuss Geography topics. You must be respectful at all times, e-bullying is not allowed and any inappropriate comments will be removed and action taken. The forum is a POSITIVE place.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Alternatives to limiting the number of children?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
scott

PostSubject: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:25 pm

What do you think are some good alternatives to brith control? As I think most people will agree that this is quite extreme and not always ethically fair.
One option could be simply educating those in LEDCs about contraception and the dangers of overcrowding countries, maybe making them think twice about having a large family.
What does everyone else think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/jokertothetheif
Simon

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:35 pm

I think that education is definitely a good plan but to link back to the other topic i still think that funding only the first two children in the family could work. This would deter some people but leave the option there if you are desparate to grow your family.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:00 am

I also agree with you Scott about birth control, and that education is the key to getting things under control. They should be educated about family birth plans to control over crowding, as was put in place in Mauritius, and this did help the countries over crowding problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mattyo

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:26 pm

I agree that education would solve a lot of the priblems:
however supplying free contraceptives would also be a solution, they are cheap and effective so could be easily distributed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:50 pm

Good point, however;

Those living in the LEDC's may be so poor and have so little services that they may not have access to any contraception.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NIRVANARULZ!!!

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:41 pm

there will be some people who would just refuse to use contraseptives

i think that education would be the answer but for educaion, you need money therefore the people in LEDC's would be less likley to get the education that they need.

not everyone would like to teach for free...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simon

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:56 pm

This is true. I think that the earlier idea of free contraceptives for all is a great idea. It will cost the government very little as it will save on unwanted pregnancys and save on abortions. I think that this is one of the ideas that could really work - good work Matty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NIRVANARULZ!!!

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:59 pm

Simon wrote:
This is true. I think that the earlier idea of free contraceptives for all is a great idea. It will cost the government very little as it will save on unwanted pregnancys and save on abortions. I think that this is one of the ideas that could really work - good work Matty

i dont think it would cost them very little if they have to cater for the whole population, if the popluation was small they wouldnt be trying to cut down on pregnancys, dont forget these countries are still probably trying to pay back so 1000000 debt or something like that so they cant exactally throw money away Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simon

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:00 pm

Well why can't the western world help them with free contraceptives?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cam :)

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:02 pm

Exactly, I completely agree with you simon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NIRVANARULZ!!!

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:06 pm

Simon wrote:

you know what we are like, our government wouldnt throw a drop of water towards any LEDC's even if it cost as little as a penny they just want to line their pockets with money and keep it not spend it, anyway, wouldnt you perfer the government to make things better in this country before moving on to others?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simon

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:09 pm

i doesn't have to be our government alone. How about the EU. They get a financial input from quite a lot of the MEDCs and i think it would benefit the world as a whole if contraceptives were made free to all. Not only would it help population but the spread of STIs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:23 pm

NIRVANARULZ!!! wrote:
Simon wrote:

you know what we are like, our government wouldnt throw a drop of water towards any LEDC's even if it cost as little as a penny they just want to line their pockets with money and keep it not spend it, anyway, wouldnt you perfer the government to make things better in this country before moving on to others?

Ahem?

What happened when the Tsunami hit S-srilanka and Indonesia? Oh yeah, we helped raise money for the poor people hit by it. What happened when Hurricane Katrina ripped through New Orleans? Oh yeah.. We also helped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abby123

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:25 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i like this one!

Well i think that they should be taught about contraceptions asap!
Although our government give them away for free atm i wouldn't expect them to start giving them to LEDC's. The EU should stay within the EU, there are problems with country in the EU as it is without trying to help out pther countries.
Maybe they should all have a big meeting and talk about some sort of arangement. That might work...

Xxxxxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bebo.com/OMGawsh-ABBY
Simon

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:39 pm

how about all countries put in different amounts of money depending on their financial situation and their population?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NIRVANARULZ!!!

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:41 pm

Andy wrote:
NIRVANARULZ!!! wrote:
Simon wrote:

Ahem?

What happened when the Tsunami hit S-srilanka and Indonesia? Oh yeah, we helped raise money for the poor people hit by it. What happened when Hurricane Katrina ripped through New Orleans? Oh yeah.. We also helped.

oh yeah but...

who raised the money? us
who volunteered to send the money? us
NOT the government they may ahve persuaded us to do it but they didnt send the money themselves

i think that everyone in all the countries involved should also get educated so that we know how bad things can get like we knew about the tsunami i dont think people over here quite understand the problem properly or we would have all campaigned to send money over there. i think we need to be educated first so we know and understand the problem and so we can then help
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scott

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:57 pm

NIRVANARULZ - the government spend millions of pounds every year in aid toward natural disasters and poverty etc.
Obviously this money comes from taxation that everyone earning over a certain amount pays; but they cannot just conjure money out of thin air. Goverments from all of the worlds richest countries donate aid (admittedly they could give more) but still you can't say that they are solely in it to 'line their pockets'
Back to top Go down
Mattyo

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:10 pm

yeh i agree with scot our government gives about 0.5% of its icome to LEDc's, now that is quite a lot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miss-Kirsty-emm

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:30 pm

Hiyaaaaaa !!!!! flower

i do think that all countries shud do sumfin to control their birth rates bcoz if dey dnt then wu cud end up avin 2 kill ppl or sumfin to make sua we can all fit on da planet, or even wurse we will hav 2 be shuttled off into space Sad

plus it will cost us alot mre muney which some ppl in L.E.D.C's wnt b able 2 afford - ne way am skint atm ROFl Razz

Aurivoir !!

and can i ask how do you put pictures on ??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:57 pm

miss-Kirsty-emm wrote:
Hiyaaaaaa !!!!! flower

i do think that all countries shud do sumfin to control their birth rates bcoz if dey dnt then wu cud end up avin 2 kill ppl or sumfin to make sua we can all fit on da planet, or even wurse we will hav 2 be shuttled off into space Sad

plus it will cost us alot mre muney which some ppl in L.E.D.C's wnt b able 2 afford - ne way am skint atm ROFl Razz

Aurivoir !!

and can i ask how do you put pictures on ??

I don't think it will get as extreme as 'Killing people off'.

And to insert a picture you click the 'insert an image' on the post a message page. Or click the smileys at the side of the post to insert them =]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scott

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:11 pm

Yeah, I don't think anything's ever going to get to the point where it's necessary to kill people in order to decrease the population (unless matty becomes prime minister Razz )
There always going to be other options.
Back to top Go down
NIRVANARULZ!!!

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:39 pm

scott wrote:
Yeah, I don't think anything's ever going to get to the point where it's necessary to kill people in order to decrease the population (unless matty becomes prime minister Razz )
There always going to be other options.

i hope 2 hell that matty doesnt become prime minister!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternatives to limiting the number of children?   

Back to top Go down

Alternatives to limiting the number of children?
Page 1 of 1