St Benets Geography forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
St Benets Geography forum

A forum dedicated to giving the students of St Benets a chance to discuss Geography topics. You must be respectful at all times, e-bullying is not allowed and any inappropriate comments will be removed and action taken. The forum is a POSITIVE place.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TNCs Friend or Foe?

Go down 
+3
Andy
scott
Simon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Simon

Simon

TNCs Friend or Foe? Empty
PostSubject: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 11:47 pm

TNCs Friend or foe?
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 12:14 am

Ahh about time for a new one like, Mr G hahah Very Happy

I think that trans national corporationscan be helpful, however if they take advantage of less developed countries by charging them ridiculously low wages, this is not so good.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jokertothetheif
Andy

Andy

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 12:18 am

It is a good thing for many reasons such as providing good services to other places in need, makes their business grow (which isn't really a global benefit) and provides jobs.

Although, these manufacturers can charge extortionately low pay meaning that these people can't earn enough for simple necessities and stable food.
Back to top Go down
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 12:33 am

Even when these companies pay the extremely low wages it is sometimes to people that would otherwise would be earning nothing. I don't think that these TNCs are all that bad. After all they are a business that will be under pressure from shareholders to get the best profits. If there needs to be changes it should not be up to the TNCs but to the rules that govern their practices.
Back to top Go down
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Yes, certain TNC's do have a bad press, however, I believe that they are a positive thing. It brings mass employment to thousands of people in LEDC's who would otherwise be earning no money at all- depending on the company, these poor people have a much higher chance of some benefits such as pensions, something which would probably not happen if it was a company based in a LEDC. It unites countries together too, which makes international ties better, and surely that can only be a positive thing.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 9:49 pm

Good work so far. You might want to consider looking at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7066019.stm
What are the implications of this?
Back to top Go down
https://mrg-eography.forumotion.com
Mattyo

Mattyo

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 8:02 pm

i believe that TNC's are a good thing they give better wages to people in LEDC's, although they get nowhere near as much money as the people in the UK. However the pay is relative to how much things cost as in India for eample you can ire a cab driver for a month for $500. This example of a little boy working for the TNC GAP is apauling however would he be treated any diffrently by a little firm? It appears that GAP did not know about this appauling incidient and therefore it is not the TNC's that are to blame but the local governments.
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 8:44 pm

I think some of the things that GAP alledgedly have done are really quite dispicable, for example: 'Another boy of 12 said children were beaten if bosses thought they were not working hard enough'.
This highlights the fact that many TNCs can easily take advantage of workers in LEDCs and most likely not be punished. Many more companies than just GAP have probably done similar things; but seeing as there's less control over workers in factories in many poorer countries, employees can be paid pittance and threatened or even beaten, often without consequences. I think this is the main drawback of TNCs.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jokertothetheif
Mattyo

Mattyo

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 9:47 pm

i agree, however the TNC's will have very strict polacies regarding these issues, mostly to cover their own back. However it will be down to the regional supplier or the local factory owner to treat his/her employees well. I do however agrre with scot and think that this is the main drawback of TNC. Eventhough the blame is not directly on the TNC's they tolerate such conditions to meat proffit margines.
Back to top Go down
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 10:42 pm

I agree that TNCs will want to try to make the most profit because after all they are a business up against many other businesss in a selection of highly competitive markets. I also think that the immoral behavior shown in this article in unnaceptable so therefore laws and enforcement of these laws should be in place as TNCs currently have no choice but to exploit the system with the pressures of business on them.

What are the implications of TNCs on the country where the organisation was founded. It could cost this country lots of jobs. Is this fair as it was the founder country?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 9:57 pm

You might want to consider both positives and negatives - Nike is a good example. Check out
http://www.geographypages.co.uk/mnc.htm
For a balanced view
Back to top Go down
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 12:21 am

Although the question of whether TNCs ae good for the countries that they spread into is still unanswered i think that the spreading of business could have disasterous effects to the country where the TNC started. It will just take business away from these, the pioneering factories and lead to job losses.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 10:26 pm

Can TNCs have a good or bad impact in richer countries like the UK? Remember Seimans and Atmel have both taken their microchip plants away from Newcastle! Nissan in Sunderland were enticed by Government loans but threatened to jump ship when the UK didn't accept the Euro currency. How do you feel about this?
Back to top Go down
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 10:51 pm

I believe that as long as TNC's are providing work for people in Great Britain, then they are a positive thing, as long as they continue to provide benefits such as a pension, and also as long as they give workers security, and if they were to shut down a plant, they gave workers plenty of warning. The point is that Atmel and Seimans were once based in Newcastle, but things didn't work out for one reason or another, but at least they tried running a plant here, which is better then some British companies who have no plants in the Newcastle area at all.
Back to top Go down
Knoxy

Knoxy

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 1:51 am

TNC Rule.................

I think they are better, altough people have been saying that they pay really low wages, in fact these wages are enough to support a family in that country, just like over here, Inflation of our products and services, requires are wages to rise with the prices. in LEDC's everything is cheap.

Also, take a car made by Brazillian Citizens for Fiat, it may seem like the car wont be constructed well/macinery not as good as over here, but for one of the workers in Brazil about 5 more people are willing to take his place in a flash............this means one thing wrong........slacking at work...............thenn they get sacked, so the standard of work will be increased as they strive to keep their jobs. In britain, the workers are more layed back, and know that it isdifficult for companies to sack them...........You would expect the machinery in britain would be more technologically advanced, but due to the company making alot more profit than in britain, AND they get grants off the brazillian government for providing jobs!! Which will also go to factory advancement........

These are just my veiws on the situation

Over and out........

KNOXY
Back to top Go down
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 11:44 pm

Good point about keeping their jobs and increasng quality. I think this is a very valid point. I also see where your coming from with the low wages actually being okay when the prices over there are so much cheaper.
Back to top Go down
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2007 12:36 am

I see what you are saying about wages received by employees in LEDC's are sustainable for them, but don't you think that it is up to the TNC's to increase wages so that other companies will follow and therefore make the over all quality of life in that country better...? After all, it's not as if they can't afford it!
Back to top Go down
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 10:11 pm

There's no question of them being able to afford it but TNC's are businesses at the end of the day with massive pressure being put on them by the shareholders for the biggest profits. These can be acheived by cutting costs wherever possible - labour being one of the biggest costs for a business.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TNCs Friend or Foe?   TNCs Friend or Foe? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TNCs Friend or Foe?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
St Benets Geography forum :: Trans National Corporations - friend or foe?-
Jump to: