St Benets Geography forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
St Benets Geography forum

A forum dedicated to giving the students of St Benets a chance to discuss Geography topics. You must be respectful at all times, e-bullying is not allowed and any inappropriate comments will be removed and action taken. The forum is a POSITIVE place.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should population be controlled?

Go down 
+18
NIRVANARULZ!!!
Kathryn_B
MrBlooby
abby123
Alexandra-x0
ROXANNE..*
liamdevitt
LauraM!
!~MoZzA~!
06hartn
spoofer23
Admin
Andy
Mattyo
scott
DMayne
Cam :)
Simon
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should population in Britain be controlled?
Yes
Should population be controlled? Vote_lcap27%Should population be controlled? Vote_rcap
 27% [ 7 ]
No
Should population be controlled? Vote_lcap73%Should population be controlled? Vote_rcap
 73% [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 26

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Simon

Simon

Should population be controlled? Empty
PostSubject: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 6:15 pm

Should worldwide population be controlled? Or just in places where it is needed like when China adopted the one child rule. scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 7:49 pm

i havnt the faintest!
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 8:01 pm

I think that population control should be implemented in some of the densley populated areas of the world when it starts to become a problem but Britain is not yet at a problem stage. Anyone else with any views? scratch
Back to top Go down
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 8:17 pm

Population should be controlled in LEDC's particularly, because if a child is born into a poor family, then there is a high chance that the child would be destined to a life of poverty, and what sort of life would that be for an innocent child?
Back to top Go down
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 8:18 pm

Good point. What about in Britain is the need here yet? I don't think so but there is a degree of poverty here too. Also if more people are born into LEDCs will they not help to earn money for the family as the more people working the more money coming in.
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 6:56 pm

I don't think there is any need to control births in Britain, as we are already a developed country and our population is beginning to stabilise. But maybe there should be some control on immmigration - as many people from new EU countries will be arriving on our shores; and as more and more countries join the EU it may put pressure on services such as the NHS and increase poverty.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jokertothetheif
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 6:59 pm

What do you think about controlling populations in other countries? For example countries in Africa?
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 7:18 pm

In countries whose populations are rapidly increasing, yes. But how well would it be enforced if birth control was put in place in the poorest countries?
Back to top Go down
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Although the population in Britain is actually decreasing, the number of migrants seeking work in Britain (particularly from Eastern Europe) is increasing. Therefore, this contributes to the need for more housing in Britain. However, these new homes are having to be built on green field sites out of town since the number of brown field sites are rapidly dwindling. Do you think that our precious countryside should pay the price?
Back to top Go down
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 10:35 pm

I agree. Not only are the number of imigrants a problem but the number of people opting to live alone is much greater and with people living longer and the average size of a house growing larger by the year the countryside is unfortunately paying the price.
Back to top Go down
Mattyo

Mattyo

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 9:16 pm

I think that an increased populace in Britain will cause strain on the NHS and other public services, I believe that birth control dosnt need to happen. We just need to control imigration.
Back to top Go down
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 9:49 pm

How would you control imigrants? Would you allow none into the contry? Just once you allow some in it's hard to draw a line.
Back to top Go down
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 9:56 pm

A very interesting plan! Not sure about your future career as prime minister!
Back to top Go down
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 10:33 pm

I see where you are coming from Matty, but I think that the government not knowing how many illegal immigrants coming into the country are the root of the problem- Many immigrants come to Britain, having to pass through other wealthy European countries such as France and Germany to get here. So why not stay in those countries? Because those governments are slightly stricter than ours, and I believe that our government needs to be slightly stricter too.

Last edited by on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mattyo

Mattyo

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 10:37 pm

good point, how would you make our government more harsh: put the aslyem seekers in workhouses ?

Last edited by on Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 10:41 pm

i see what david is saying too. I once saw a programme and a woman wanted to came to the UK for 2 months but she wasn't accepted because the immigration didn't think she would leave again. So what did they do they said she could have five days here and what happened - she never turned up for her flight!!!
Back to top Go down
DMayne

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 10:53 pm

Exactly Simon, it's those sort of stories that are unfortunate, and it does therefore make it hard to trust other people- lets face it though, not all immigrants are here just to take Britain for a ride.
And Matty, the way I would implement the harsher regime would be to introduce new laws- I don't know what sort though. Anyone got any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Andy

Andy

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 10:59 pm

Although this may seem a little unorthodox and immoral, regarding immigrants, I think that they should have to earn a set wage per year before being allowed to stay.

That may slow down the rate of immigrants swarming the country. I can't remember where I read it, but it was something like 450 people migrate to Britain per day.

But population control is not a thing we should be worried about at the minute. It's not like we're drastically running out of places to build and house like China
Back to top Go down
Mattyo

Mattyo

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 11:01 pm

introducing new laws is easier said than done, i would not give the asylum seekers any benifits so they had to benifit the econemy

Last edited by on Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Simon

Simon

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 11:02 pm

But would you not like to stop the problem before we get to the stage that China are at. I mean just look at the quality of the air they are breathing in the major cities there. So bad they may have to relocate the Bejing olympics' marathon
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 11:04 pm

Seriously Matty sounds like Hitler junior...
And good point Andy. Maybe the UN should discuss bringing in birth control programmes on a large scale; but then allow the finer points to be up to local council, as they wuold know best about their own area.
Back to top Go down
Andy

Andy

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 11:05 pm

Hmm... True

Even if you do enforce a new "x' children" law, it wouldn't become effective straight away, and what with all of the unexpected teen pregnancy's arising...
Back to top Go down
Mattyo

Mattyo

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 11:14 pm

I am not a miny hitler Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

I believe that family planning is the answer- as well as stopping illegal asylem seekers
Back to top Go down
Andy

Andy

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 11:17 pm

Mattyo wrote:

Fine, You're more of a... Mini-Hitler/unethical dictator in training =D
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 11:20 pm

Andy wrote:
Mattyo wrote:

Fine, You're more of a... Mini-Hitler/unethical dictator in training =D

+1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should population be controlled?   Should population be controlled? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should population be controlled?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next